The Bullit Center is an amazing demonstration in TRULY SUSTAINABLE DESIGN…no longer is less bad the only option.
Here is a list summarizing the extensive sustainability features this project demonstrates:
– Building Neurology – a computer system that is constantly monitoring and responding to the environment to ensure efficient control of heating/cooling, passive/mechanical ventilation, delighting and metabolic systems
– 575 Solar Panels to create a Net Zero Energy building
– Composting Toilets – That’s RIGHT! and it DOESN’T SMELL! or at least it didn’t when I was there…it’s AMAZING.
– Wastewater from sinks and showers are stored and then cleaned through a constructed wetland before being infiltrated back into the soil to recharge the local aquifer.
– Rainwater catchment – Eventually the building will use only the water it catches on site…they are currently working out regulations with the municipal water district…
– Central – Walk/Bike-able Location
– Natural lighting, radiant heating, active design, regenerative elevator….and much more…check out the website for the full details! http://www.bullittcenter.org/building/building-features/